Time to Say Bye to Bypass Surgery Problem
When a person’s arteries, which transport blood to heart
become blocked, then he is suggested to have a by-pass surgery by the doctor. If multiple
arteries are blocked, then a multiple by-pass surgery is recommended.
Even though by-pass surgeries have become routine procedures these days, keeping
in mind the number of people who need it, it is still a serious business and requires a deep
analysis of the patient’s case before any doctor suggests it. Many factors need to be studied, such
1. The extent of blockage
2. The age of the patient
3. The number of surgeries he has undergone before
4. The person’s overall health and stamina
5. Existence of any other conditions
Only when all these aspects have been analysed, the doctor will move ahead with
the decision to do a by-pass surgery on the patient. The surgery itself consists of the following
1. The doctor first exposes the heart by cutting the middle of
the breast bone.
2. The heart is stopped and the patient is connected to the heart lung bypass
machine that helps to keep the blood flowing.
3. Next, the doctor will remove a small section of the vessel from another region
of the body
4. Then he attaches one end of the graft to the aorta and the other to the artery
just below the blockage
5. Special sutures are used to close the chest carefully after the surgery is
Patients who have undergone by-pass surgeries are given instructions on how to
take care of themselves post operation. Some essential points are:
1. Proper diet needs to be taken which means avoiding things
that can cause the arteries to get blocked like smoking.
2. While heavy work should be avoided, light exercises like walking can be done
3. Medications should be taken on time.
4. The patient should take rest but not so much as to create other health
5. Try to stay away from unnecessary stressful situations and relax.
6. Visit the doctor regularly.
7. Take tests to ensure that thins are going fine.
All these precautions will be given to you by your doctor. All you have to do is
follow the doctor’s orders and ask him questions that plague you about your health.