How One Can Create a High Blood Pressure Diet
Balancing your diet is the best way of reducing blood pressure and keeping
it within limit. A balanced diet for hypertensive patients is known as DASH and it includes cutting
down on sodium or salt. Use herbs, spices, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt-free seasonings and
blends to add delicious flavor to your meals. People suffering from high blood pressure must also
stay away from all types of frozen, processed and packaged foods. If you are fond of eating out,
then avoid the dishes that have salt or soy sauce in them.
All these changes seem massive and impossible to people whose diet is based on
ready-made, high sodium content meals. It is better that you bring about these modifications in
your diet slowly and gradually while giving yourself and your body time to adjust.
Tips on how to make a proper diet for high blood
pressure patients are:
1. When you buy products from the market, always make sure
that their salt content is not more than 2400 mg as this is the recommended daily intake for a
person. Information on sodium content is given on the labels of almost all food products.
2. The option is to always buy fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned.
Fruits are also a healthy replacement of dessert items like pies and cakes.
3. Instead of sprinkling salt on your meals, use other herbs or spices like
pepper. These are not as harmful for blood pressure as salt and also give a nice taste to your
meal. You can also use garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and paprika to flavour your food.
4. Snacks should be prepared at home or by those cereal, pretzels or potato chips
that are low in salt or salt free.
5. If you have no other option but to buy canned or frozen food, then wash them
in a colander before steaming or boiling. This will reduce salt intake by 40 percent.
6. Buy cheese that is low in fat or fat free.
7. Lean meats, fish, turkey or chicken is preferable for use by hypertension
8. Use light mayonnaise, non-fat yogurt or skim milk.
9. Skim off fat from soups and gravies.
10. Avoid alcohol completely or drink in very small quantity.
11. Avoid fatty foods like burgers and pizzas.
By following all of the above tips, you can effectively control your blood
pressure and weight. In combination with this diet, also incorporate a little exercise. Do not
expect quick results as diets take effect in few weeks. Stick to this diet plan as long as possible
and you will surely benefit from it.